K. Peter Pauls
Professor and Chair, Department of Plant Agriculture, University of Guelph
Expertise in molecular characterization of agronomic plant traits, plant embryogenesis, plant transformation, plant bioproduct development and dry bean, corn and soybean breeding.
Executive member of the Bean Improvement Cooperative http://bic.css.msu.edu/
Associate editor for the Canadian Journal of Plant Science http://pubs.aic.ca/journal/cjps
Plant processes at cell, genome and molecular levels to improve plants for agriculture. The work has focused on developmental, disease-related phenomena and quality characteristics of agricultural interest.
Molecular Characterization of Agronomic Plant Traits
- molecular marker development for disease resistance, agronomic traits and quality traits in beans, corn and soybeans
- isolation of genes related to secondary metabolite synthesis in bean
- isolation of genes related to quality traits in soybean
- identification of markers and genes related to Fusarium resistance in corn
- examinations of genetic similarity in plant breeding populations
- gene expression patterns during embryogenesis in Brassica napus microspore cultures
- cloning and sequencing genes expressed during the early stages of embryogenesis in B. napus microspore cultures
- Agrobacterium-mediated plant transformation of corn to increase disease resistance
Dry bean (Phaseolus vulgaris) breeding
- variety development of white and coloured (kidney, cranberry) beans
- investigations of the uses of plant fibres and proteins in the production of biocomposites and films
- Xie, W., Yu, K.-F., Pauls, K.P. and Navabi, A. (2012) Applications of Image Analysis in Studies of Quantitative Disease Resistance, Exemplified Using Common Bacterial Blight – Common Bean Pathosystem. Phytopathology 102: 434-442.
- Smith, T. H., Michaels, T.E. Navabi, A. and Pauls, K.P. (2012) OAC Inferno common bean. Canadian Journal Plant Science. accepted September 2011.
- Smith, T. H., Michaels, T.E. Navabi, A. and Pauls, K.P. (2012) Rexeter common bean. Canadian Journal Plant Science. 92: 351-353.
- Ali Taheri & Subramanian Jayasankar & John A. Cline & Manish N. Raizada & Peter K. Pauls. (2012) A WD-repeat gene from peach (Prunus persica L.) is a functional ortholog of Arabidopsis thaliana. TRANSPARENT TESTA GLABRA1. In Vitro Cell. Dev. Biol.-Plant 48:23–29.
- Elsadr, H., Wright, L., Pauls, K., Bett, K. (2011) Characterization of seed coat post harvest darkening in common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) Theoretical and Applied Genetics 123: 1467-1472.
- Reinprecht, Y., Luk-Labey, S.Y., Yu, Y., Poysa, V., Rajcan, I., Ablett, G., Pauls, K.P. (2011) Molecular basis of seed lipoxygenase null traits in soybean line OX948. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 122:1247–1264.
- Islam, R., Zhou, T., Young, J.C., Goodwin, P.H., and Pauls, K.P. (2011) Aerobic and anaerobic de-epoxydation of mycotoxin deoxynivalenol by bacteria originating from agricultural soil. World J Microbiol Biotechnol 28: 7-13.
- Smith, T.H., Michaels, T.E. and Pauls, K.P. (2010) OAC Derkeller common bean. Canadian Journal Plant Science. 90: 715-717.
- Smith, T.H., Michaels, T.E. and Pauls, K.P. (2010) OAC Dublin common bean. Canadian Journal Plant Science 90: 511-514.
- Liu, S., Banik, M., Crosby, B., Haffner, M., Pauls, K.P., and Y, K.-Y. (2010) Construction of a BAC library and a physical map of a major QTL for CBB resistance of common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.), Genetica 138: 709-716.
- Reinprecht, Y., Luk-Labey, S.-Y., Larsen, J., Poysa, V.W., Yu, K., Rajcan, I., Ablett, G.R. and Pauls, K.P. (2009) Molecular basis of the low linolenic acid trait in soybean EMS mutant line RG10. Plant Breeding 128: 253-258.
- Reinprecht, Y., Wu, X., Luk-Labey, S.-Y., Dasilva, E., Martin, J.C., and Pauls, K.P. (2008). A microarray-based approach for identifying genes for resistance to Fusarium Graminearum in Maize (Zea Mays L.). Cereal Research Communications 36: Suppl. “B” 253-259.
- Gillard, C.L., Conner, R.L., Howard,R.J., Pauls, K.P., Shaw, L. and Taran, B. (2009). The performance of dry bean cultivars with and without common bacterial blight resistance in field studies across Canada. Canadian Journal Plant Science 89: 405-410.
- Yuan, J., Tedman, J., Ali, M. L., Taylor, J., Liu, J., Taylor, J., Lightfoot, D., Iwata, M. and Pauls, K. P. (2009). Different Responses of Two Genes Associated with Disease Resistance Loci in Maize (Zea mays L.) to 3-allyloxy-1,2-benzothiazole 1,1-dioxide. Current Issues Molecular Biology. S1: 81-92.
- Smith, T.H., Michaels, T.E., Lindsay, A.M. and Pauls, K.P. (2009). OAC Redstar common bean. Canadian Journal Plant Science 89: 309-311.
- Smith, T.H., Michaels, T.E., Lindsay, A.M. and Pauls, K.P. (2009). OAC Lyrik common bean. Canadian Journal Plant Science 89: 307-308.
- Smith, T.H., Michaels, T.E., Lindsay, A.M. and Pauls, K.P. (2009). Lightning common bean. Canadian Journal Plant Science 89: 303-305.
- Chung, H.-J., Liu, Q., Pauls, K.P., Fan, M.Z. and Yada, R. (2008). In vitro starch digestibility, expected glycemic index and some physicochemical properties of starch and flour from common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) varieties grown in Canada. Food Research International. 41: 869-875.
- Yuan, J., Ali, M.L., Taylor, J.A. (2008). A Guanylyl cyclase-like gene is associated with Gibberella ear rot resistance in maize (Zea mays L.). Theoretical and Applied Genetics 116: 465-479
Professor of Biology, University of Windsor, Ontario
Expertise in bioinformatics, biotechnology, genomics and the development of tools and stratagies for functional genomics data integrations .
Founding member of Canadian Bioinformatics Resource http://bioinformatics.ca/ . Chair of Science Advisory committee for Genome Alberta http://genomealberta.ca and member of the Genome Canada Science and Industry Advisory Committee http://www.genomecanada.ca/
W.L. (Bill) Crosby is Professor of Biology at the University of Windsor, Ontario. Previously he has held the position of Director of Bioinformatics at the University of Saskatchewan, Senior Research Officer at the NRC Plant Biotechnology Institute (PBI) in Saskatoon, including multiple Adjunct Professor at the USask Faculty of Medicine and Faculty of Science. While at the PBI he held various posts including Department Head, Division Head and Program Leader for the PBI Plant Genomics Program from 1999-2002. In this role he directed development of the automation/robotics and bioinformatics facilities as the basis for the NRC s $5.3M Phase-2 program in plant genomics, involving over 18 research scientists. Crosby has authored over 65 peer reviewed publications, over 75 research articles and is the co-author of 3 issued patents. He is appointed to diverse national and international advisory bodies concerned with plant functional genomics and is the Canadian representative to both the Arabidopsis Multinational Steering Committee as well as the NSF international advisory groups. The bioinformatics activity of the Crosby group has included a lead role in two successful Genome Canada awards in the areas of Plant Functional Genomics ($19.5M) and Bioinformatics Platform ($10M). The group is also active in the areas of whole-genome annotation in plants, cluster HPC applications in bioinformatics and in the development of tools and strategies for functional genomics data integration. Crosby is a founding member of the Canadian Bioinformatics Resource (CBR), is Chair of the Science Advisory committee for Genome Alberta, and serves as a current member of the Genome Canada Science & Industry Advisory Committee.
- Wang, H., Fowke, L.E. and Crosby, W.L. (1997) A Cyclin-dependent Kinase Inhibitor Gene from Arabidopsis thaliana. Nature 386, 451-452
- Schwechheimer, C., Serino, G., Callis, J., Crosby, W.L., Estelle, M., Lyapina, S., Deshaies, R.J. and Deng, X.-W. (2001) The COP9 signalosome interacts with the E3 ubiquitin ligase SCFTIR1 and mediates auxin-response in Arabidopsis. Science 292, 1379-1382
- Liu, F-Q., Xu, L.-H., Genschik, P., Crosby, W.L., Ma, H. and Xie, D-X.. (2002). The SCFCOI1 ubiquitin-ligase complexes are required for jasmonate response in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 14, 1919-1935
- Risseeuw, E.P., Daskalchuk, T.E., Banks, T.W., Liu, E., Cotelesage, J., Estelle, M., Somers, D.E. and Crosby, W.L. (2003). A protein interaction map involving subunits of the Arabidopsis SCF Ubiquitin E3 Ligase. Plant Journal 34, 753-767
- Wang, X., Feng, S., Nakayama, N., Crosby, W.L., Irish, V., Deng, X.-W. and Wei, N. (2003). The COP9 signalosome interacts with the SCFUFO and participates in Arabidopsis flower development. The Plant Cell 15, 1071-1082
- Alonso, J.M., Stepanova, A.N, Leisse, T.J., Chen, H., Shinn, P., Stevenson, D.K., Kim, C.J., Zimmerman, J., Barajas, P., Cheuk, R., Gadrinab, C., Heller, C., Jeske, A., Koesema, E., Meyers, C.C., Parker, H., Prednis, L., Ansari, Y., Choi, N., Deen, H., Geralt, M., Hazari, N., Hom, E., Karnes, M., Mulholland, C., Ndubaku, R., Schmidtland, I., Guzman, P., Aguilar-Henonin, L., Schmid, M., Weigel, D., Brogden, D., Carter, D., Marchand, T., Risseeuw, E., Zeko, A., Crosby, W.L., Berry, C.C. And Ecker, J.R. (2003) Global gene functional analysis in Arabidopsis using T-DNA insertional mutagenesis. Science 301, 653-657
- Han, L., Mason, M., Risseeuw, E., Crosby, W.L. and Somers, D.E. (2004) Formation of an SCFZTL complex is required for proper regulation of circadian timing. Plant J 40, 291-301
- Rhee, S.Y. and Crosby, W.L. (2005) Biological databases for plant research. Plant Physiol 138, 1-3
- Houde, M., Belcaid, M., Ouellet, F., Danyluk, J., Monroy, A.F., Dryanova, A., Gulick, P., Bergeron, A., Laroche, A., Links, M., McCarthy, L., Crosby, W.L. and Sarhan, F. (2006) Wheat EST resources for functional genomics of abiotic stress. BMC Genomics 13, 149
- BioMoby Consortium, Wilkinson MD, Senger M, Kawas E, Bruskiewich R, Gouzy J, Noirot C, Bardou P, Ng A, Haase D, Saiz Ede A, Wang D, Gibbons F, Gordon PM, Sensen CW, Carrasco JM, Fernández JM, Shen L, Links M, Ng M, Opushneva N, Neerincx PB, Leunissen JA, Ernst R, Twigger S, Usadel B, Good B, Wong Y, Stein L, Crosby W, Karlsson J, Royo R, Párraga I, Ramírez S, Gelpi JL, Trelles O, Pisano DG, Jimenez N, Kerhornou A, Rosset R, Zamacola L, Tarraga J, Huerta-Cepas J, Carazo JM, Dopazo J, Guigo R, Navarro A, Orozco M, Valencia A, Claros MG, Pérez AJ, Aldana J, Rojano MM, Fernandez-Santa Cruz R, Navas I, Schiltz G, Farmer A, Gessler D, Schoof H, Groscurth A. (2008) Interoperability with Moby 1.0--it's better than sharing your toothbrush Brief Bioinform.
- Birney E, Hudson TJ, Green ED, Gunter C, Eddy S, Rogers J, Harris JR, Ehrlich SD, Apweiler R, Austin CP, Berglund L, Bobrow M, Bountra C, Brookes AJ, Cambon-Thomsen A, Carter NP, Chisholm RL, Contreras JL, Cooke RM, Crosby WL, Dewar K, Durbin R, Dyke SO, Ecker JR, El Emam K, Feuk L, Gabriel SB, Gallacher J, Gelbart WM, Granell A, Guarner F, Hubbard T, Jackson SA, Jennings JL, Joly Y, Jones SM, Kaye J, Kennedy KL, Knoppers BM, Kyrpides NC, Lowrance WW, Luo J, MacKay JJ, Martín-Rivera L, McCombie WR, McPherson JD, Miller L, Miller W, Moerman D, Mooser V, Morton CC, Ostell JM, Ouellette BF, Parkhill J, Raina PS, Rawlings C, Scherer SE, Scherer SW, Schofield PN, Sensen CW, Stodden VC, Sussman MR, Tanaka T, Thornton J, Tsunoda T, Valle D, Vuorio EI, Walker NM, Wallace S, Weinstock G, Whitman WB, Worley KC, Wu C, Wu J, Yu J. (2009) Pre-publication data sharing. Nature 461, 168-170